India is a land of young dreams, every year lacs of students invest their time and efforts to secure an MBBS seat in Indian govt medical colleges. Increasing competition, limited availability of MBBS seats in govt medical colleges and high cut-off of NEET are shattering lacs of dreams to become an MBBS doctor. Due to the consequences of very high competition and uncertainty of NEET result, students in India are increasingly looking for opportunities to pursue MBBS abroad. With increasing awareness about global opportunities students are choosing Georgia, Kyrgyzstan, Philippines, Armenia, Poland, Kazakhstan, Ukraine, Russia, USA etc to study MBBS abroad.
Let’s have a look at the pros and cons of doing an undergraduate program in medicine in another country.
Pros/ Benefits of Studying MBBS Abroad
- There are several foreign medical universities which are recognized by MCI and they offer quality medical education at 3 to 5 times cheaper tuition fee when compared to Indian private medical colleges.
- When an MBBS is done in a reputed institution in the USA, Georgia, Armenia, UK, Canada, Kyrgyzstan or any other country, it enhances career prospects. There are ample job opportunities for medical graduates.
- Studying MBBS abroad provide global exposure to students and contribute to their personal growth as well. Getting acclimatized with the new culture and working standards help students to develop more skills.
- While studying MBBS abroad students can learn advanced technologies used in the medical field. They get the advantage of studying at par with the international standards and world-class infrastructure.
- Opportunity for research is more when studying abroad. This can open up many opportunities.
- There is no separate entrance exam to take admissions in MBBS abroad. As per Indian Govt, Indian students must qualify NEET exam to study MBBS in India as well as in Foreign countries.
Cons of Doing MBBS Abroad
It is important to look at the drawbacks as well and not just the benefits of doing an MBBS abroad. The cons of doing an MBBS program in a foreign country are:
- Studying in non-English speaking countries like Russia, Poland, Ukraine, and China is not so easy because of the language barrier.
- The standard of education and medical practice norms vary in various countries. So it is very important to pick the right country and university.
- Every country has different climatic conditions and with the change in climate, the nature of diseases also changes. Thus, it is very important to choose the country wisely to study MBBS abroad, so that you get appropriate clinical exposure.
- Studying at some foreign medical universities may not be advantageous as the standard of medical education is not up to the mark. Getting a degree from such medical universities may not help in enhancing career prospects.
- The local language of the country matters a lot because in non-English speaking regions it will be very difficult to interact with patients while doing internship.
- Some medical universities provide bilingual lectures that make it difficult for foreign students to understand the complete lecture.
- Some countries provide a 6-year Medical undergraduate course (BSMD) as compared to the five-year course (Medical Doctor). One should choose the MBBS equivalent course wisely.
Thus, there are multiple factors which one should keep in mind while taking the decision to study MBBS abroad. On one hand, students can easily get MBBS admission in MCI approved foreign medical universities at remarkably low fee when compared to India while on the other hand taking admission in MBBS abroad without proper information about the country or Foreign medical universities might cost you more time and money. Here comes the need of an experienced counsellor who can guide you properly and help you in choosing the right foreign country as well as medical university.